Our guild was originally founded in 1949 and was the Home Weaving Branch of the Guelph Creative Arts Association. The founding members were Mrs. H. Koch, Mrs W.H. Waddell, Mrs. H Peachell, Miss Rose Bechtel, Miss Jean Carter, Mrs. Don Farquharson, Mrs. F Kirvan, Mrs. G.P. McRosie, Miss Frances Mortimer, Mrs Fred Scott, Mr. M. Seymour, Mrs J.S. Shoemaker, Mrs. A.S. Wilkinson, and Mrs. Wrye. They were involved in courses, seminars, sales, and exhibitions.
In 1960 a second guild of new weavers, Guelphcraft Weavers, was formed under the leadership of Mrs. Mary Burgess. They had many speakers including Dorothy Kirk and hosted a workshop given by Lillian McNelly.
The two guilds worked together in 1963 and 1971 to host the Five Counties Seminar first at the MacDonald Institute of the University of Guelph and then at the Guelph Recreation Centre.
In 1967 the original guild designed a coat of arms for the City of Guelph and it was woven by one of the members (Laura Peachell). It was presented to the city as a Centennial project to be hung in the city council chamber.
In 1971 the two guild amalgamated under the name Guelph Home Craft Weavers, the name was then changed in 1976 to Guelph Handweavers and Spinners.
Since then the guild has had many exciting guests from Edna Blackburn to Ted Carson to Inge Dam. It has hosted Five Counties many times. In the 80s the guild hosted three successful fashion shows of hand made articles. In 1986 the guild wove yardage for the Convergence Conference when it was held in Toronto.
Information obtained from a write done by one of our members for our 40th anniversary.